Simple Checklists for a Safe Electrical System at Home

Electrical System, Electrician, Electricity

Electricity is part of our day to day lives. Without it, we can’t watch our favourite television shows, surf the internet or listen to the latest hits on the radio. However, we have become so accustomed to its usage that sometimes we forget how dangerous it can be. Over the years, it has burned down residential properties, caused injuries and claimed innocent lives. Fortunately, there are simple ways to ensure your family is safe from the hazards of a faulty household electrical system.

Electrical safety for the family

There are several possible causes of an electrical fire. Two common causes are short or overloaded circuits and faulty appliances. Some of the preventive measures to ensure a safe environment for the whole family include the steps below. However, you need to make sure that you do not need an electrical certificate first. If so, that will be mandatory.

Electrical Safety
By Michael Witzel under CC BY 2.0

Avoid octopus wiring  

According to professionals, connecting extension cords may seem harmless, but these cords, popularly known as octopus wiring, can also be dangerous. When too many wires are interconnected, the circuit will work harder to accommodate the increased electrical outlets. In result, the main socket will overheat, starting a fire. If you limit the connection and secure the plugs correctly into the sockets, octopus wiring can be safe.

Also Read:  Common Household Pests: Top Tips on Prevention and Control

Update wirings  

Some residential properties don’t have the capability to handle a huge amount of electrical household items at once, such as wide screen televisions and gaming consoles. To find out if your home has a limited wiring capacity, seek help from a certified electrician.

Replace light fixtures

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFRA), replacing a light is the leading cause of electrical related civilian injuries. When replacing the bulbs, turn off its switch to ensure you won’t get electrocuted. IF you securely screw the light, overheating can also be prevented. For added protection, determine the correct wattage of the fixture.

Don’t let water touch the socket

When water and electricity is combined the results can be deadly. Rooms, especially the bathroom and kitchen area, should not be fitted with sockets near the water supply. As much as possible, the sockets should be transferred to a safe distance. If your appliance fell into the bathtub or a sink full of water, never attempt to pull it out.

Carefully remove the cord from the wall

Even when you switch-off the television set after use, the way you pull the cord can greatly damage the appliance. In fact, there is a possibility you can also yank out the outlet from its permanent placement. Instead, hold the plug near the wall and slowly pull it out of the socket.

Also Read:  Top 5 Home Improvement Tips that Increase Resale Value

Check the Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs)

Residential properties are fitted with Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs). When there is current leakage, the device quickly interrupts the power, preventing risks of electrical shock.

Hire a qualified electrician  

When there is a problem with the circuit breaker box, do not attempt to fix the out-dated or broken panel board as you may be electrocuted. Instead, hire an electrician with a restricted electrical licence for repair or maintenance.

More and more individuals rely on electrical appliances to perform everyday chores. However, many are unaware of the negative consequences of incorrectly using electricity. Luckily, application of preventive measures can dissuade the effects of faulty household electrical system.